Wadsworth hires new coaches for fall sports

BY JULIA SWAIN & SYDNEY DAILY

In the 2021-2022 athletic seasons, many new faces will be seen around the school and on the field. Boys soccer, football, volleyball and girls golf have all hired new coaches that will start in the fall.

Mallory Adams is the Wadsworth volleyball head coach. She played volleyball all throughout high school and college and still plays today. 

Coach Mallory Adams poses with her Freshman volleyball team from last season. Adams is taking on a new role this season as the head coach for the varsity team.  PHOTO COURTESY OF MALLORY ADAMS

“I’ve had many different coaches growing up and I have been a part of successful programs so I’m thankful I can take things from high school and take things from my college experience and remember what worked and what didn’t work and do that here,” Adams said. 

Jonathan Barker is the new varsity coach for girls golf. He hopes to build on what the team already has to offer and hopefully make it to districts. 

“We will have five seniors walking for us this fall and that kind of experience is always valuable,” Barker said. “Beyond that we will focus on building chemistry and having some fun after all of the restrictions limited some of that [the season] last year.”

Additionally, boys soccer has also added Dave Zimmerly as their new Freshman/JV Red coach. Zimmerly shared his thoughts on the upcoming season. 

“Player development is one of my passions as a coach,” Zimmerly said. “I hope to contribute to the program through developing talent.”

Zimmerly also shared what his hopes are for his first season. 

“I took the position, because I saw it as a great opportunity in my growth as a coach,” said Zimmerly. “John [Johnson] has built a sustained, successful program, and I hope to learn from the culture that he has built.” 

Finally, Coach Justin Todd shared information that the football team will have a few new assistant coaches for next season, although he did not share what team they would be coaching or what their specific positions would be. 

With new faces going to be filling up the sports fields this upcoming school year, Wadsworth is gearing up for what seems to be a great season.