Changing of the guard: Student Council to elect new leaders

BY ADAM DARWICH 

Student Council Executive Board Elections are to be held this Friday, March 31.

The Executive Board members are the leaders of the whole Student Council which acts as a voice of the student body at Wadsworth High to the Administration. Requirements to run for the Executive Board is a minimum of a year of being on the council, an ability to attend biweekly meetings, and a desire to change things for the better.

“Any person that wishes to be on the Executive Board should be outgoing, focused, and hardworking. They put time in that really changes our school,” said Joe Pavlak, a senior leader in Student Council.

The positions for Executive Board that are open for elections are President, Senior/Junior Vice President, Junior/Sophomore Vice President, and Secretary. The elections will be open for current Student Council members to vote for next year.

“I’m excited for the elections, no matter the outcome; all of the candidates really care about the school and their fellow students,” said Hailey Montgomery, a candidate for the President position.

Student council PB (8)
Andrew McNutt, left, is the current president of the Student Council Executive Board. Mr. Schoonover (right) is the Student Council Adviser. Photo courtesy of the Yearbook Staff

The President is certainly an important and prestigious position. Their tasks include: assigning committees, building an agenda, running the monthly council meetings, and acting as the mediator between the administration and the council.

“The President of Executive Board really changes the council. They decide how the meeting are run and who is on what committee. They hold a lot of say on the outlook of the Council as the leader of it,” said Ahmed Darwich, a hopeful candidate for the Vice President position.

A certainly competitive election for the President position is primed to take place as a number of current members are excited to have their name on the ballot.

Members who are not elected to the Executive Board will then have to toss their name in the general election if they wish to be part of the Student Council as a whole.

The general election is slated to be held at the end of April after students return from Spring Break.

A change to the  voting process this year is that the Council will shift away from using paper ballots and begin using Google Forms for method of voting.

“We hope that the Google Forms will allow for a quicker turnaround on the election and that it would allow for everyone at the school to vote via their school provided Google account,” said Mrs. Parsons, an advisor to the Student Council.