Broadway Musical ‘Aida’ takes the stage

BY MERIEM NEJJAR

The world renowned Elton John and Tim Rice musical “Aida” is being performed this weekend at Wadsworth High School. The show will be Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 7:30pm. Tickets are $10 for reserved seats and $8 for general admission seats.

“Aida” is about the timeless love story between Radames, an Egyptian captain who is to marry the daughter of the Pharaoh, and Aida, an enslaved Nubian princess that was brought back by the captain’s army to work at the palace.

image1
“Aida” will be performed at Wadsworth High School on March 23-25 at 7:30pm. Photo courtesy of Pam Csaky

Their tale is of forbidden love, pride and torment between the heart’s desire and a leader’s responsibility towards his/her people. Everything and everyone, including Radames’ father, his betrothed; Amneris, and the Pharaoh, is against their happiness.

It is based on an Italian opera and the book written by Linda Woolverton, Robert Falls and David Henry Hwang.

Auditions for this spring’s musical were held before Christmas and soon after, it was decided that the cast included Evan Goebel, 12, as Radames, an Egyptian captain, Rachael Herman, 12, as Aida, the Nubian princess, Macy Shaeffer, 11, as Amneris, the Egyptian princess, and Michael Juscak, 11, as Zoser, Radames’ father, alongside many more characters.

The high school’s re-enactment of the Broadway musical is directed by Mrs. Csaky, Mrs. Davis and Mrs. Lake.

image4
Michael Juscak, 11, playes the villian of Amneris in this weekend’s production of “Aida”. Photo courtesy of Pam Csaky

“There are so many elements to a musical that must come together. Acting, singing, dancing, musicians, set, props, lighting, costumes, sound… every element is important,” said Mrs. Csaky when asked about the most challenging thing about bringing the play to life.

“This show is a favorite of both myself and Mrs. Davis. It has an intriguing story and great music by Elton John and Tim Rice,” said Mrs. Csaky.

image3
Radames, played by Evan Goebel, 12, falls in love with a Nubian slave, Aida, played by Rachael Herman. Photo courtesy of Pam Csaky

Elton John and Tim Rice previously composed for many hit movies and musicals such as “The Lion King”. The original piece has been nominated for five Tony awards, which really puts the pressure on our high school’s cast. However, the students are enjoying their time, and are taking pleasure in performing their favorite part, the spiritual song of “The Gods Love Nubia”.

This performance is the last high school play for some members of the cast including Rachael Herman, Evan Goebel, Ryan Presson, Zach Wajno and Dominic Boni.

This performance may even lead the WHS drama department to a Dazzle Award nomination. The Dazzle Awards are Playhouse Square’s awards to honor excellence in musical theatre in Northeast Ohio. 23 schools from Cuyahoga and the surrounding counties will compete in 13 different categories culminating in a Tony Awards-style production on the Connor Palace stage on May 20.

image2
Rachael Herman, 12, stars as the title character of “Aida”. Photo courtesy of Pam Csaky

Broadway Musical ‘Aida’ takes the stage