Show Choir meets Little Big Town

BY MADDIE SHAEFFER

The Show Choir and drama students had the privilege to take a trip to Disney World. They were involved in Disney Performing Arts workshops, where they improved on singing, dancing, and acting. With the help of Broadway producers, students learned new ways to better themselves for future auditions.

The group of 50 students and 3 teachers, including Mrs. Davis, Mrs. Csaky, and Mrs. Lake, took a 21 hour trip down on a bus.

Little Big Town Kicks Off MIOS at Disney
Five-time CMA Vocal Group of the Year winner Little Big Town kicked off the Music In Our Schools Tour by surprising Wadsworth High School Choir during a Disney Performing Arts music workshop at Saratoga Springs Resort Performance Hall at Walt Disney World. Photo courtesy of Gregg Newton

After a fun first night of shopping in Disney Springs, the group headed off to their workshop the next morning. It was during these workshops that they got the chance to meet the country music band Little Big Town.

The students were very shocked by the band’s appearance. Little Big Town, CMA Vocal Group of the year, visited with the students to share their knowledge on music and its importance. Give a Note Foundation, which organized the meeting, has given $1.2 million to choirs across the country.

“This trip affected my performance and auditions because it taught me to be more confident. On the trip, I was put on the spot to sing in front of Little Big Town. I was able to stay composed, which taught me that even in the craziest situations, I can still do it,” said Claire Doyle, 11.

Little Big Town Selfie with Ohio Student Choir Group
Little Big Town posed for a selfie with Radio Disney Country correspondent, Savannah Keyes and the Wadsworth High School Choir at Walt Disney World. Photo courtesy of Gregg Newton

At their workshop, the group was able to create a voice over of The Lion King and learn the choreography to some of the songs, as if they were in the movie.

“After the workshop, I realized how much work goes into just recording one song for a movie,” said Macy Shaeffer, 11, after voicing Nala.

Over the next two days, they had time to explore Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Hollywood Studios at the Disney World Resort.

“Our director, Dirk, said that whenever we’re nervous and shaking, we can take that and turn it into excitement. It’s as if we’re so excited to perform, that we’re shaking. That left an impression on me,” said Cassidy Good, 10.

Little Big Town Kick off Music In Our Schoot Tour at Disney
Students from Wadsworth High School choir group pose with Little Big Town and Mickey Mouse as they kick off Music In Our School Tour at Disney. (L-R)  Jane Mell Balek, Give a Note CEO, Karen Fairchild, Jimi Westbrook, Terry Dola, Disney Performing Arts vice president, Kalyn Davis school choir director, Philip Sweet, Kimberly Schlapman, Sarah Trahern, CMA CEO and Radio Disney host, Savanah Keys. (far right) Photo courtesy of Gregg Newton

Show Choir meets Little Big Town