Wadsworth High School's Student Newspaper

Stanford wins back-to-back National Championship for Men’s Soccer

BY CONNOR MENDEL

The college soccer playoffs have yet had another great year and exciting playoff games. With a 32 team bracket there could only be one winner. Coming off of a National Championship a year ago, many expected Stanford to compete but not actually win the Cup. The overwhelming favorite going into the tourney was Maryland, who was ranked number one overall in the nation. However, during the second round Maryland played unranked Providence. With Maryland up 4-1 with 12 minutes left, Providence spectacularly scored four insane goals to upset number one ranked Maryland at their home turf. The last time a team has gone back-to-back winning National Championships was in 2003-2004 when Indiana beat St. John’s and then UC santa Barbara in penalty kicks.

Image result for stanford vs wake forest 2016
Stanford poses after getting the trophy. Photo courtesy of Pac-12 

“NCAA athletes work way to hard to not be able to get paid or have benefits. Also, playing the semifinals game and then two days later playing the finals game, you cannot expect the players to be at top level. It is scientifically proven that athletes perform better with more days of rest,” said Vlad Muresan, coach of Liberty Futbol Club.

The semifinal and final game was held at BBVA Compass Stadium, Houston, Texas. With a lot of fans not happy of how the field conditions were and with the field being covered with a bunch of sand. Number two ranked Wake Forest out shooting Stanford 10 to 9 but with only 4 on goal and Stanford with 5 on goal. Wake Forest had 17 fouls with Stanford clearing them with 23.

It was a very good 90 minute game with two overtime periods each lasting 15 minutes. Every soccer fan loves watching two good teams going at each other for a hard 90 minutes and then another 30. Finishing the game with penalty kicks is a nail biting experience that everyone enjoys.